Whey Protein Benefits: All You Need To Know
The Most Popular Supplement Explained
Whey protein, along with creatine are the most popular supplements in the industry. More and more, people consume protein before and after workouts and even as a snack. It's very common to see people in the locker room shaking their magic potions. Gymaholic explains you all you need to know about whey protein.
Protein is a required nutrient and plays a large role in many different body processes; building, growing and repairing muscle, as well as digesting your food and numerous other body functions. If you don't know what protein does for your body, it's explained in this article.
This powder is extracted from milk. Milk is composed of two proteins; Casein and Whey. During the process of production, they are separated and the fat is removed to make cheese. At the end of the production, Whey and Casein are used to make the end products.
Whey protein also contains branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), which are used by your muscles during the workout and stimulate protein synthesis.
There exist different protein powders extracted from other product than milk.
Here is a short list of what you can find in the market:
- Egg White Protein
- Soy Protein
- Rice Protein
There are three main types of whey protein:
- Whey Concentrate: It's the basic form of protein. It contains a some lactose for carbohydrates, it's low in fat and it's cheap. The concentration of protein can be anywhere from 40-80% depending on the brand.
- Whey Isolate: This form of whey does not contain fat and lactose and the protein concentration is at least 90%.
- Whey Hydrolyzed: This whey is pre-digested, so it's absorbed more rapidly and digested more easily compared to other sources. Whey hydrolyzed is less allergenic but costs more than all other Whey products.
One thing to know about whey protein is it won't make you gain weight. Your body rarely uses protein as an energy source, and it takes a lot of excess protein for it to cause any change in weight. The amount of protein you eat will only increase your weight in the form of muscle, which you have to work for.
A scope of whey has the same amount of protein as a chicken fillet. The supplements that make you gain weight is Weight Gainer's; which is a mixture of low glycemic carbohydrates, whey protein and leaner dietary fat.
Weight Gainers are only beneficial to those who need to meet extreme calorie intakes and have difficulty doing so with their nutrition alone.
It's always better to get your macronutrients from food instead of supplements. People in the fitness mostly use whey protein post-workout. Because it's fast-digesting so it is absorbed more quickly into the muscles. Whey protein can be used as a snack in order to achieve your daily protein intake more easily.
After a workout, your body will need protein in order to build, repair and maintain muscle tissue. Post-workout is best time to induce muscle hypertrophy (muscle gain), but it can also be used as a snack between your meals or before your workout (45 min - 1h30). This shaker will provide you BCAAs, which will help you reduce damage to your muscles during your workout.
For nutrition advice and recipes don't hesitate to visit our nutrition section.
Take what you can actually afford.
If you are lactose intolerant choose whey isolate or if you can afford the price of a whey hydrolized go for it. Otherwise you can truly trust whey concentrate, which is: economical, efficient and the most sold product on the market. There are also kosher and vegetarian friendly whey protein options available.
Let's just review what we just learned:
- Protein is important for your body.
- Whey protein is extracted from milk, along with Casein.
- It exists different types of protein powder; egg white, soy, rice.
- It also exists several types of whey protein; whey concentrate, whey isolate and whey hydrolyzed.
- Do not be confused: Protein powder is not a Whey Gainer.
- Protein powder helps you reach your protein intake as a snack.
- Whey protein is not a meal replacement.
- Have a strong nutrition before thinking about buying supplements.