A Gymaholic is someone who inspires others to become the best version of themselves. #IAmAGymaholic You have goals, we help you achieve them.

The Ultimate Guide To Lose Weight Fast

Weight Loss Is Not About Eating Less, It's About Eating To Your Goals

People tend to think that you need to eat less and run a thousand miles in order to achieve a successful weight loss. That's the kind of 'quick-fix' that never works in the long run. Remember that your fitness journey is a marathon, not a sprint.
With this Ultimate Guide To Lose Weight Fast, you will be able to understand how to lose weight without killing your health.

Woman and man weight loss

You've been struggling to lose weight for months, but the number on the scale remains the same. In order to lose weight, you will have to understand how your body works, which is achieved with; good nutrition, intense trainings and trials. We're all different, thus some methods could make you lose weight faster than others. This is why it's important to be able to adapt your nutrition according to your body.
Gymaholic provides you some principles that will help you lose weight fast.

Fat Loss And Weight Loss Are Two Different Things

I will repeat what I just said in this cardio training guide: fat loss and weight loss are two different things.

  • Losing weight: Can occur when you've lost; fat, muscle tissue or simply water. Muscle tissue loss happens when you're burning WAY more calories than you consume, so your body uses muscle tissue as a source of energy. It's the worst nightmare for people who want to keep their muscle mass. Keep in mind that muscle loss and water loss are unhealthy. However, it might be the only solution for someone who want to reduce his muscle size.

  • Losing fat: In the other hand, losing fat means that you've only burned fat. This method is the healthiest one, which is often used by people who want to burn fat while maintaining their muscle mass (fitness addicts, bodybuilders). It requires to have a very precise nutrition plan and cardio trainings that will allow you to only burn fat, not muscle.

So now, think twice when you hear someone say "I lost 10 pounds in 1 week", it can be fat loss, muscle loss or simply water loss.

You Can't Spot Reduce: Losing Fat In A Certain Area

People always wonder "can I lose fat on my belly?" Research has shown that you can't target fat loss in only one body part; doing abs won't make you lose your belly fat for example. When you burn fat, it's lost from the entire body and not one certain area.

Weight Loss: Eating Healthy

When you're losing weight, you lack of energy so your body needs more micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) than usual. It's very important to consume enough fruits and vegetables. It's also recommended to replace your simple carbohydrates to complex carbohydrates, which makes you feel full longer. A multivitamin supplement is also recommended. More information about healthy foods.

Weight Loss: A Matter Of Calories

A calorie is a unit of energy, which refers to the foods and drinks you consume. Your body requires a minimum amount of calories you need for the functioning of vital organs (heart, brain, lunges ...), which is called BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). I also recommend you to calculate the calories you need in order to maintain your weight, check this link! (which is an indicator, the real number may slighlty differ)
Fat loss occurs when you're burning more calories than you consume, often called "caloric deficit". This can be achieved by reducing your amount of calories you eat for maintenance and/or adding cardio exercises to burn more calories. You will have to reduce your calories from all macronutrients, but mainly from your carbohydrates.
When you know your daily caloric maintenance, you basically need to decrease this number from 200 calories to 500 calories. For example, your caloric maintenance is 2200 calories daily, if you want to lose fat you will reduce this number to 2000 calories (use this calorie counter app). Be aware, if you're decreasing too much (500 calories, for example) it will be harder to maintain and you might also lose muscle tissue.

The Weight Scale: Your Best Friend During Your Weight Loss

Weighing yourself every week is key if you want to make a successful weight loss. Why not every day? Because it's not accurate and will probably affect your mind in a bad way instead of providing you motivation.
Your goal will be to weekly decrease your caloric intake and weigh yourself at the of each week, just after waking up (without food in your stomach).
The scale is THE tool you need to measure if what you're doing works on your body or not, so you can change your nutrition plan accordingly.

Example Of Weight Loss Journey

Let's say your caloric intake for maintenance is 2200 calories, so you weigh yourself and you write your weight down. You're aiming for 2000 calories for your first week of weight loss. So you use this calorie counter app to build your nutrition plan accordingly.
At the end of the week, you weigh yourself and you see that you lost weight. So you keep going with this nutrition plan, until you arrive to a week where your weight will remain the same. When this happens; you can either decrease your caloric intake again or simply add a cardio workout in your routine, which will allow you to burn extra calories. Then you repeat the cycle until you reach your goal!

Fruits and vegetables

Nutrition Plan For Weight Loss

Without a good nutrition plan, you will never know how much calories you consume daily. Trying to lose weight without knowing your own caloric intake is like trying to drive a car without looking at the road; 90% chance not to work, 10% chance to work. Check our example of nutrition plans:

Prepare Your Meals And Snacks In Advance

The best way to have a successful weight loss is to prepare your meals in advance. When your meals and snacks are all prepared, you don't have any excuses to eat junk food. If you can't eat your own meals, at least prepare some snacks for in-between your meals and definitely count your calories.

Snacks Helps You Stop Feeling Hungry During Your Weight Loss

Losing weight is not about eating less food, it's about eating less calories with several meals and snacks. A lot of people think that the only snacks available are chocolate bar and candies. In fact, you can prepare healthy snacks for your weight loss that will help you:

  • Stop feeling hungry: When you observe fitness practicioners, you often see them with meals and snacks. They constantly eat in order to fight hunger and snacks are the best tools for this job. Instead of having 3 huge meals, you slightly reduce their size and you add snacks between them. By constantly feeling full, you will be able to stop craving junk food, which is amazing!

Drinking Water Helps You Lose Weight

Stop asking questions, drink that glass of water! (8-10 more remaining) It helps you feel full; people tend to confuse thirst for hunger. Besides, water is a major component of your body, it's a vital nutrient. Muscle is composed of 72% of water by weight, therefore an insufficient amount of water will have a bad effect on muscle size. It has also many benefits; it helps in the process of chemical and metabolic reactions and in the transport of nutrients.

Exercises To Do During Your Weight Loss

"Should I only do cardio to lose weight first, then do resistance trainings to get in shape?" You should do both but mainly focus on cardio exercises. Cardio exercises will help you burn those extra calories to get rid of the fat, while weight lifting will give shape to your body while you're losing weight.
So for example, if you train:

  • 2 days a week: do 1 weight training and 2 cardio sessions (1 light cardio after 1 weight training, 1 cardio training)

  • 3 days a week: do 2 weight trainings and 3 cardio sessions (2 light cardio after 2 weight trainings, 1 cardio training)

  • 4 days a week: do 3 weight trainings and 4 cardio sessions (3 light cardio after 3 weight training, 1 cardio training).

There are just examples, train according to your goals and your schedule. But remember one thing, during your weight loss journey, you will have less energy than usual, so you must have shorter workouts; aim for 45 minutes - 1 hour of intense training (no phone allowed).

In Conclusion

This article; The Ultimate Guide To Lose Weight Fast gave you some tips in order to help you lose weight the healthy way!
Let's summarize what we've just learned:

  • Your weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

  • Good nutrition, intense trainings and trials are necessary.

  • Fat loss and weight loss are two different things.

  • You can't spot reduce; lose fat in a certain area of your body.

  • Eating healthy is necessary; fruits, vegetables and complex carbohydrates.

  • Weight loss is simply caused by burning more calories than you consume aka: calories in, calories out.

  • You will have to mainly reduce your carbs intake; but not too much (check our nutrition plans).

  • Forget the 'intermittent fasting diet', that unhealthy.

  • Weigh yourself every weeks and change your nutrition plan accordingly!

  • Check our examples of nutrition plans.

  • Prepare your meals and snacks in advance, so you don't have any excuses to eat unhealthy.

  • Go snacks! They help you always feel full and avoid craving junk food.

  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.

  • Do both weight lifting workouts and cardio trainings.

Time to burn this fat!

A Gymaholic is someone who inspires others to become the best version of themselves. #IAmAGymaholic You have goals, we help you achieve them.